Get road-ready with these practical driving tips
Passing your driving test is a huge milestone—but it can also be a nerve-wracking experience. If you’re getting ready to take your practical driving test, use this guide to help you feel more confident and prepared on test day.
The days leading up to your practical driving test can be both exciting and anxious. On one hand, you’re finally able to put your months (or maybe even years) of driving lessons to the test. On the other hand, there’s a lot riding on the outcome of the test—after all, a passing grade means you can finally hit the open road without a supervising driver!
Use These Valuable Mental and Physical Tips To Prepare For Your Big Day:
- Make sure you know the rules of the road inside and out
- Get plenty of practice behind the wheel. The more time you spend driving, the better acquainted you’ll become with how your car handles and responds in different situations. If possible, try to get in some professional driving lessons a qualified driving instructor before your test date. They will help teach you how to actually drive and not just pass your test
- During the test, stay calm and focused. If you make a mistake, don’t dwell on it—just move on and focus on the rest of the drive. Remember, even the best drivers make mistakes sometimes. The key is to not let one mistake derail your entire drive
- Avoid focusing on the outcome. Focus on the road and what you are doing right there in the moment
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before your test. You want to be well-rested so that you can focus and stay calm during the exam
- Eat breakfast on the day of your test. A nutritious meal will help fuel your brainpower and give you the energy you need to concentrate throughout the drive
- Arrive early to your testing location (20 to 30 mins before). This will help you avoid feeling rushed or stressed out before your test even begins. Plus, if there’s any confusion about where you’re supposed to go or what you’re supposed to do, arriving early gives you time to ask questions and get clarification
- Take some deep breaths and relax. It’s normal to feel nervous but try not to let your nerves get the best of you. Take some deep breaths and remind yourself that you’ve been preparing for this moment for a long time. You can do this!
- Visualise yourself driving in a relaxed, yet alert manner. Picture yourself glancing ahead to notice what other drivers might be doing. This will help relax you and allow you to be proactive with the decisions you make
By following these simple tips, you’ll be on your way to passing your practical driving test with flying colours!
The practical driving test can be daunting—but it doesn’t have to be if you come prepared! Get ahead of those pre-test jitters by getting a good night’s sleep, eating breakfast on the day of, arriving early, relaxing, and reviewing the material one last time before taking the exam. With this guide in hand, passing your practical driving test will be a breeze!